3/30/10

Lost and Found

Last weekend I discovered the wonderful radio series, Selected Shorts, that seems to be a cooperative effort between NPR and Symphony Space here in NYC. I had turned on the radio and heard the voice of Alec Baldwin reading Colson Whitehead's "Lost and Found" - a wonderful piece on life & living in New York - and was immediately captivated. The story was originally published in the NY Times Magazine in November 2001. This should be required listening (or reading) for every citizen of this mighty metropolis.

“You start building your private New York the first time you lay eyes on it. Maybe you were in a cab leaving the airport when the skyline first roused itself into view. All your worldly possessions were in the trunk, and in your hand you held an address on a piece of paper. Look: there's the Empire State Building, over there are the twin towers. Somewhere in that fantastic, glorious mess was the address on the piece of paper, your first home here. — Colson Whitehead, “Lost and Found”



Podcasts of this, and past episodes are available here. Pan Am building image courtesy of the Bowery Boys.

7 comments:

NYCDreamin said...

Absolutely brilliant - thanks for posting this!

Karate Boogaloo said...

Glad you got to it. I agree...It really blew my mind, and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the almost non-existent reaction to it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful; loved it when I first read it; loved it when I first heard it; loved hearing it again. Thanks.

esquared said...

just discovered colson whitehead's 'lost and found' from wnyc, and while on the process of posting it, i stumbled upon this post while i was searching for a source for the essay. great stuff. didn't know about the adam baldwin audio (thanks). totally forgot you have this blog. should check it more often. now have it on my feed.

Karate Boogaloo said...

Thanks E2...not much is getting posted here anymore. I've slowly been reposting my stuff over at Stupefaction - this post being one of them. Anyway, glad you found it. I love this recording so much...

Anonymous said...

This is one of the greatest things I've heard. Totally sums up my experience living in New York. Touches on so many levels.

Thanks so much for making the audio available. I'm sharing the link. This is one of those things everyone should hear. It's beautiful.

Tim Broun said...

Thanks whoever you are...I feel the same way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails